|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||25 minutes|
- 1 lb potatoes peeled and cut into halves
- 3 medium Spring onions, or scallions you can also use Spring cabbage shredded and stir fried
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- freshly ground nutmeg pinch
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup Irish Cashel Blue Cheese or any high quality blue cheese
- Steam the potatoes over a pan of boiling water until soft and drain. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- While potatoes steam, put the milk, butter and Spring onions in a separate pan and cook gently for five minutes, or until the Spring onions have cooked.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or a ricer. Add to the milk mixture, season with salt, pepper and nutmeg, then beat well. Add 1/3 cup of the blue cheese and mix well.
- Put into a pie dish, top with the remainder of the Irish Cashel blue cheese. Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes and serve with Guinness stew.
"Did you ever eat colcannon
when 'twas made with thickened cream
And the greens and scallions blended
Like the picture in a dream?
Did you ever scoop a hole on top
To hold the melting cake
Of clover-flavored butter
Which your mother used to make?"
Leave a Reply